Tozan Music

From: Dcammaro@aol.com
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 02:09:58 PST

Hi Bill,

Sorry to butt in, however you did post the message on a mail list.

If you are interested in Tozan music you should try to get recordings of
Yamamoto Hozan. He is a national living treasure for Tozan.

Also, the most widely available and cheap CD I have found is "Japan
-Shakuhachi and Koto" put out by Air Mail Music featuring Sozan Chiaki Kariya.

Having recently looked at some Kinko Music and fingering. Some differences
are fingerings of notes, names of the notes, and the variations of notation
within the Kinko notation itself. From what I have seen Tozan tends to have a
standardized notation whereas Kinko varies with the person who wrote down the
piece or rewrote the piece.

Having studied Tozan for only Two years I know I haven't coming across every
possibility. These are just some of my insights.

Good luck on the quest
Dominic Cammarota
One of the Tozan people
NYC