Re: Tozan Music

From: Thomas Hare (thare@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 12:39:33 PST

I think it may be counter-productive to introduce a heavily value-laden
term like "authentic" into this discussion. Tozan music is, to be
sure, newer on the block, and more extensively influenced by Western
music, and some people like Kinko or Meian music better. Fine. Can we
just let that be, though, and, if the discussion is to proceed on more
precise terms, leave "authenticity" out of it.

(Authenticity is, of course, a great concern in the world, but it isn't
to be determined solely on the basis of genealogy, age, or cultural
"purity" -- another very problematic term.)

Best,
Tom Hare