Re: Tozan Music

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 2003 - 10:06:08 PST

The real problem with using a term as "authentic" is, that someone has to=
=20
see themselves as being in a position to judge what's more authentic than=
=20
other musics.
We don't even know how shakuhachi music sounded like in the Edo period.
And what is Western music anyway?
We should really be careful about essentialising something so vast into o=
ne=20
category, as if something pure "Western" exists.
Surely, the Tozan school was created when music from all over the world, =
but=20
particularly European music flooded into Japan after centuries of isolati=
on.=20
Tozan is a part of that history, but much more complex than just that.
Tozan and Kinko schools have different reperoires. Some techniques are=20
different. But I'm neither a Tozan nor a Kinko player, so I'm not an expe=
rt=20
on this. I play onlu ji-nashi shakuhachi.

Blow well,
Kiku