Re: Kyo Rei notation

From: Reg Tanaban (reg418@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 00:31:27 PST

Is it being implied that "Kyorei" is part of the Kinko repertoire? My impression has been that it is not. There is a piece called
"Shin Kyorei", but I believe that is a different piece of what people are discussing here. (See for example
http://www.zenflute.com/kinko.html) Jin Nyodo's school has "Kyorei", but Jin Nyodo collected his repertoire from various schools.
(And of course there's the matter of different versions of "Kyorei" itself, such as the version without u-meri written into the
notation and using the high register as well as the low.)

If it all sounds rather chaotic to those just starting out - well, (I think) it's because it is! Different schools (and their
"sub-schools") have their own standards, but there isn't a lot in the way of "universal" standards, which is seen as a bane to some,
boon to others.