Re: Kyorei

From: Tom Hare (thare@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 06:48:51 PST

I'm glad to see Kyorei on the list, and curious to hear about people's=20=

experience with it. The piece seems to exist in numerous variations,=20
perhaps some of them are entirely unrelated to others except in as much=20=

as they aim to evoke the bell in those old legends about the mystical=20
transmission of the three ancient pieces.

Shin, as in "Shinkyorei" means something like "formal," "true," or=20
"orthodox" and relates to a medieval typology of arts (calligraphy,=20
some noh performance, tea etc.) which also includes the categories s=F4=20=

and gy=F4, which represent various degrees of informality or deviation=20=

from orthodoxy, shall we say (although this is a very rough and ready=20
way of characterizing it -- it really depends on just which art you're=20=

talking about, and, indeed, which particular performance or object is=20
being discussed.)

I've seen textual references to shin-s=F4 and gy=F4 in shakuhachi music,=20=

but have yet to hear a cogent account of what this means musically. I=20=

wonder if anyone can give us the run-down on various shin-s=F4 and gy=F4=20=

versions of Kyorei. Is, for instance, the Jin Nyod=F4 version a s=F4=20
version, say, or, on the other hand, is it unrelated to this typology?

Best,
Tom Hare=