RE: shakuhachi V1 #453

From: Herb Rodriguez (Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 18 2003 - 07:25:43 PST

--=====================_87936499==.ALT

To everyone,

If urushi causes such a horrible reaction, how do full time shakuhachi
makers deal with it? What precautions do they take to prevent these
reactions and how do they deal with it if/when they do get a rash? I can't
imagine having to live your life with these allergic rashes going on
continually for your life due to making shakuhachi?

And, finally, why continue to use a caustic substance anyway? Are there no
viable substitutes that are not as caustic?

Herb

--=====================_87936499==.ALT

If urushi causes such a horrible reaction, how do full time shakuhachi
makers deal with it? What precautions do they take to prevent these
reactions and how do they deal with it if/when they do get a rash? I
can't imagine having to live your life with these allergic rashes going
on continually for your life due to making shakuhachi?<br><br>
And, finally, why continue to use a caustic substance anyway? Are there
no viable substitutes that are not as caustic? <br><br>
Herb <br><br>
At 11/18/2003 07:24 AM, you wrote:<br>
stuff?&nbsp; Take some Benedryl or other antihistimine daily for three
days until you get better...try not to use the urushi for salad dressing
next time...or use gloves...or, here's a thought...keep it off your hands
and body...and keep the ventilation flowing...breathing the stuff if you
are allergic will make it systemic...like poison ivy...you don't want an
INTERNAL episode, now do you?<br><br>
Wayne<br><br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
Somehow some of it has not gotten over my right eye, and that eye lid's
drooping now (temporarily I trust)!<br>
I'm tellin' ya' Jeff - it's those holistic guys, puttin' a curse on
me!<br>
gene<br><br>
&gt; Gene,<br>
&gt; You're supposed to urushi the inside of your shakuhachi, not the
outside.<br>