urushi

From: Gene (oldmanriver@alltel.net)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 10:07:59 PST

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C3AF67.5279C470
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Man - lemme' give you dumb new shakuhachi makers (like me) a tip: BE =
CAREFUL WITH URUSHI!

This is the third day of my "attack", and I'm in the running sores stage =
(ugh!), up all night, every night, scratching and sloshing alcohol on =
the affected areas to kill the nerve ends. Although I could not have =
touched urushi to these areas, I have patches of rash on the back of my =
left knee, my left shin, my right side, my right ear, my left hand, my =
nose, my right eye and lips are all puffy, and - ugh! - the most =
sensitive of all unspeakable areas.

It has gotten worse every day for three days.

And my wife now has it on her right forearm, and she never touched =
urushi!

And I used only TWO DROPS of urushi. Literally.

Now admittedly I did thin the urushi with lacquer thinner, creating =
perhaps two or three ounces, but I have no recollection of ANY of it =
ever touching my skin. And, if any of it did, it was certainly only a =
microscopic amount.

Actually, I was tinting the outside of the root section of the =
shakuhachi I'm making, like many of the Japanese shakuhachi makers do. =
Just to darken up the naturally dark area there a bit more. I was not =
using it in the bore. I'm using an Epoxy compound there.

And this urushi poisoning also has a physiologically debilitating =
effect, a sort of nauseous yucky feeling. . . .

Learn from my ignorance, you newbies: take care!

Gene
------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C3AF67.5279C470
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Man - lemme' give you dumb new shakuhachi makers (like me) a =
tip:&nbsp; BE=20
CAREFUL WITH URUSHI!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This is the third day of my "attack", and I'm in the running sores =
stage=20
(ugh!), up all night, every night, scratching and sloshing alcohol on =
the=20
affected areas to kill the nerve ends.&nbsp; Although I could not have =
touched=20
urushi to these areas, I have patches of rash on the back of my left =
knee, my=20
left shin, my right side, my right ear, my left hand, my nose, my right =
eye and=20
lips are all puffy,&nbsp;and - ugh! -&nbsp;the most sensitive of all =
unspeakable=20
areas.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It has gotten worse every day for three days.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And my wife now has it on her right forearm, and she never touched=20
urushi!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And I used only TWO DROPS of urushi.&nbsp; Literally.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now admittedly I did thin the urushi with lacquer thinner, creating =
perhaps=20
two or three ounces, but I have no recollection of ANY of it ever =
touching my=20
skin.&nbsp; And, if any of it did, it was certainly only a microscopic=20
amount.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Actually, I was tinting the outside of the root section of the =
shakuhachi=20
I'm making, like many of the Japanese shakuhachi makers do.&nbsp; Just =
to darken=20
up the naturally dark area there a bit more.&nbsp; I was not using it in =
the=20
bore.&nbsp; I'm using an Epoxy compound there.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And this urushi poisoning also has a physiologically debilitating =
effect, a=20
sort of nauseous yucky feeling. . . .</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Learn from my ignorance, you newbies:&nbsp; take care!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Gene</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004C_01C3AF67.5279C470--