RE: urushi

From: Brett Breitwieser (brett@bigskyranch.us)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2003 - 16:12:51 PST

As Bodhidharma said:
"If you envision a buddha, a dharma, or a bodhisattva and conceive respect
for them, you relegate yourself to the realm of mortals. If you seek direct
understanding, don't hold on to any appearance whatsoever, and you'll
succeed. I have no other advice. The sutras say, 'That which is free of form
is the buddha.' . The buddha is your own mind. Don't misdirect your
 worship."

We should remember that Zen was carried into Japan by and large by the
samurai and as such is mixed up with a considerable amount of bushido and
the militaristic mindset (Trungpa Rimpoche, the Tibetan meditation master,
commented on this). I have also noted that as people progress in meditation
they get crazier and crazier (fully developing their own peculiar neurosis,
this is normal)... while this is a necessary part of one's development
through meditation, I'm not sure that it makes for the best teacher of zen
or anything else. The sophomoric type who took such great delight in beating
people hard with the kyosaku grew up to be a gun wielding Roshi in a San
Francisco park. Same neurosis, more fully developed... I have seen this
pattern over and over again over the last three decades...

Be careful... personally I advocate going back to the original practice of
sitting on a bed of straw under a tree... starting all over again... just
sitting in remote places.

Brett Breitwieser ( zen@arizuma.us <mailto:zen@arizuma.us> )
Arizuma Zen
http://arizuma.us

"The clouds evaporate in the cold sky.
The autumn has departed and the mountain is barren.
This is where we originally dwell." -Hongzhi