urushi

From: Gene (oldmanriver@alltel.net)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 08:32:42 PST

------=_NextPart_000_005E_01C3B023.2D51B7E0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Allow me to share with you what may sound like a rather bizarre theory =
concerning urushi poisoning. But I am fully persuaded of its scientific =
validity.

I am not at all certain any urushi touched my skin in any place; I do =
not believe any did. Yet I'm going through a quite severe reaction.

But my hako box, in which the freshly urushi painted bamboo was placed, =
sat only three feet from where I slept every night for a week or so =
until this outbreak. And I could smell the urushi. Plus, of course, I =
handled the non-painted portion of the particular piece of bamboo many =
times, without touching the urushi.

And we know that many people - just simply by playing a jiari shakuhachi =
- succumb to urushi poisoning. They do not touch the urushi while they =
are playing the instrument, yet they get the poisoning!

And remember: If you can smell any substance, you ARE physically in =
contact with it. It is airborne molecules of the substance, coming in =
contact with your olfactory nerves, which produces what we call "smell".

My theory is that actual physical contact with the urushi is not =
essential to trigger even a severe reaction. Close is all that counts. =
Take care.

Gene
------=_NextPart_000_005E_01C3B023.2D51B7E0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Allow me to share with you what may sound like a rather bizarre =
theory=20
concerning urushi poisoning.&nbsp; But I am fully persuaded of its =
scientific=20
validity.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I am not at all certain any urushi touched my skin in any place; I =
do not=20
believe any did.&nbsp; Yet I'm going through a quite severe =
reaction.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>But my hako box, in which the freshly urushi painted bamboo was =
placed, sat=20
only three feet from where I slept every night for a week or so until =
this=20
outbreak. &nbsp;And I could smell the urushi.&nbsp; Plus, of course, I =
handled=20
the non-painted portion of the particular piece of bamboo many times, =
without=20
touching the urushi.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And we know that many people - just simply by playing a jiari =
shakuhachi -=20
succumb to urushi poisoning.&nbsp; They do not touch the urushi while =
they are=20
playing the instrument, yet they get the poisoning!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And remember:&nbsp; If you can smell any substance, you ARE =
physically in=20
contact with it.&nbsp; It is airborne molecules of the substance, coming =
in=20
contact with your olfactory nerves, which produces what we call =
"smell".</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My theory is that actual physical contact with the urushi is not =
essential=20
to trigger even a severe reaction.&nbsp; Close is all that counts.&nbsp; =
Take=20
care.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Gene</DIV></BODY></HTML>