Re: Kyorei

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 23 2003 - 12:58:30 PST

Dear Gene.

>Myths have never held my attention long, but I do consider the historici=
ty
>of honkyoku to be of significantly sufficient import to deserve far more
>clarity than we have here in the instant case.

Perhaps the point is that there is no historical clarity to be found in a=
n=20
oral tradition... until it got written down. And who knows what was writt=
en=20
down was historical correct. Meanings of Kyorei from the 7th to the 10th=20
Centuries have been mentioned here. But honestly, we don't even know if t=
his=20
piece existed then, and we don't have means to trace it.
I do agree that the history of honkyoku is important, but whether it is=20
Kyorei or Shin-Kyorei that should express certain emotions, I think is=20
umimportant. These meanings have certainly changed with time. Perhaps the=
=20
fact that people have used the same description for 2 different pieces=20
exacly expresses that it doesn't matter. It's up to you to put your meani=
ng=20
into it. What I'm at is that what Yokoyama says, Kurahashi says or my=20
teacher Okuda says about the meaning of a piece are different. And that's=
=20
the beauty of an oral tradition... Even though it has seased to be a real=
=20
oral tradition some time ago.

I thought you're tracing of the same descriptions of different pieces was=
=20
excellent. It does tell us a few things!

Kiku