Re: John Singer Interview

From: Perry Yung (yungflutes@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 18:56:47 PST

Hey Ken,
 Thanks for forwarding the interview. WHat John says
about

I spent six months in Tokyo studying shakuhachi making
and playing with Kinya Sogawa. The best advice I got
from Kinya about making was to follow my heart.

 "Rulers and guages will only take you so far. The
rest is up to how well you can play, and how much you
love shakuhachi making"
Hey Ken,
 Thanks for forwarding the interview. Doing it for the
love of it is what it's all about.

I recently spent six months in Tokyo studying
shakuhachi making and playing with Kinya Sogawa. The
best advice I got from Kinya about making was to
follow my heart.

One day we were sitting on the floor of his workshop
with the shakuhachi hako between us. We were making
bore guages for 1.8s taken from Chikusen Tamai's
measurements (with a little adjustments made by Kinya
I'm sure). He suddenly stopped and said. "Rulers and
guages will only take you so far. The rest is up to
how well you can play, and how much you love
shakuhachi making."

"...how much you LOVE shakuhachi making" still rings
in my ears.

Much Thanks to Brian and John.
 Peace, Perry

=====
"He is fast becoming one of the few Americans who make and repair shakuhachi" - Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, Grandmaster
http://home.earthlink.net/~slantgroup/yungflutes.htm

"Three extremely talented young Asian American men." - New York Times
http://www.slantperformancegroup.com