Re: multiphonics

From: Bruce Hunter (bhunter3@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 10:32:49 PST

From: "Karl Signell" <signell@cpcug.org>
> With all holes closed on a 1.8 flute, the intermediate student should =
be able to play the fundamental (otsu no > ro/D) plus at least four =
separate overtones without changing the fingering:
> 1. kan no ro/d
> 2. kan no chi/a'
> 3. dai kan no ro/d'
> 4. dai kan no re meri/f#'.
Agreed.
> Playing two of these simultaneously should be easy, three or more =
harder.
Again, agreed. "Vented" fingerings are more likely, (in my experience), =
to produce the 3+ chords.

> I found the higher overtones to be the same difficulty on 1.8 as in =
2.4, most likely a function of the individual > flute construction.
A lot depends on the individual instrument, (and individual), of course, =
due to the nature of the critters. However, very generally speaking, I =
find that the larger instruments produce these effect more readily.

Regards,
Bruce Hunter