Rattan Binding Enhancement

From: Derek Choice (soundwave1@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 11:08:18 PST

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3B7FB.6CD0BF80
        charset="iso-8859-1"

re-submitting post...

(1st one has not appeared yet?)

_________________________________

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Derek Choice=20
To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu=20
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 9:23 AM
Subject: Rattan Binding Enhancement

Howdy...

For makers doing their own rattan, without a source for very high =
quality material, I have been experimenting a bit with the Mejiro 2 Rin =
rattan. In my limited experience (2 orders), most of their strands tend =
to be a little light in color, and sparse with the beautiful "tiger =
striping" that I prefer. However, I have found that by pre-staining the =
rattan strands (prior to wrapping a flute), it adds a beautiful warmth =
to the color, and greatly enhances those tiger stripings (or stress =
lines, I imagine, is what they actually are).

I have been using an even mix of Dark Walnut and Red Mahogany stain, =
wiping the rattan, and letting it sit for about 3-5 minutes. After =
wiping off the residual, it looks much richer and with far greater =
detail.

My inital tests were on bindings I had already installed, and it worked =
okay, though some portions of the rattan where the adhesive wicked, =
would not readily absorb the stain, and it took some massaging.... this =
is not a problem when pre-staining the strands.

:)

Derek
------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3B7FB.6CD0BF80
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>re-submitting post...<BR><BR>(1st one =
has not=20
appeared yet?)<BR><BR></FONT>_________________________________<BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dsoundwave1@earthlink.net =
href=3D"mailto:soundwave1@earthlink.net">Derek=20
Choice</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DShakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu=20
href=3D"mailto:Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu">Shakuhachi@communicatio=
n.ucsd.edu</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, December 01, 2003 9:23 AM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Rattan Binding Enhancement</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Howdy...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>For&nbsp;makers doing their own rattan, =
without=20
a&nbsp;source for very high quality material, I have =
been&nbsp;experimenting a=20
bit with the Mejiro 2 Rin rattan.&nbsp; In my limited experience (2 =
orders),=20
most of their strands tend to be a little light in color, and sparse =
with the=20
beautiful "tiger striping" that I prefer.&nbsp; However, I have found =
that by=20
pre-staining the rattan strands (prior to wrapping a flute), it adds a =
beautiful=20
warmth to the color, and greatly enhances those tiger stripings (or =
stress=20
lines, I imagine, is what they actually are).<BR><BR>I have been using =
an even=20
mix of Dark Walnut and Red Mahogany stain, wiping the rattan, and =
letting it sit=20
for about 3-5 minutes.&nbsp; After wiping off the residual, it looks =
much richer=20
and with far greater detail.<BR><BR>My inital tests were on bindings I =
had=20
already installed, and it worked okay, though some portions of the =
rattan where=20
the adhesive wicked, would not readily absorb the stain, and it took =
some=20
massaging.... this is not a problem when pre-staining the=20
strands.<BR><BR>:)<BR><BR>Derek</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C3B7FB.6CD0BF80--