Re: Shakuhachi Trio Scores Wanted

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 13:39:43 PST

...which reminds me again of how useful a Western <-> Kinko, Tozan,...=20
automated translation tool would be (and in which case there would be no=20
shortage of available trios to play !); it doesn't seem impossoble as=20
it's my understanding that there are currently some word processing=20
macros (with corresponding fonts) available for generating Kinko=20
notation (e.g. Kurahashi sensei's package) so the issue would mainly=20
involve getting the Western notation into a useable format (which has=20
been done in a number of other contexts and software packages). People=20
have requested Kinko versions of some the western pieces I've played=20
around with but given my caligraphically challenged state this has been=20
difficult. So I'd love to see something like that available and wouldn't=20
mind contributing some effort, ala something like an open source=20
software project, but don't really have the time to initiate it. =20

> Dear Bruce,
>
> If I may, I wrote this Spring a shakuhachi trio for Kurahashi san's=20
> visit to Montr=E9al this Summer. If you are interested, I can send you =
a=20
> copy of it. Please tell me if you would like to have a Western score=20
> version of it, or a Tozan one. For the moment I have only a Western=20
> score.
>
> Ciao!
>
> Bruno Desch=EAnes, Montr=E9al
>

> Le 03-12-12, =E0 16:11, Bruce Jones a =E9crit :
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking for some suggestions for shakuhachi trios. We have a
>> group that plays together and have run through what little we have
>> in the way of pieces for three instruments.
>>
>> Currently our repertiore includes:
>>
>> Kumoi Jishi (trad.)
>> Fudo (San Bon Kai)
>> Seiki no Aki Kaze (Fukuda Rando)
>> Kaze no Iro (Tozan)
>> Umibe no Yubae (Tozan)
>>
>> There are a couple of other Tozan trios - one called A-Un (Empathy)
>> and another called Miyama no Akatsuka (Daybreak in the Deep
>> Mountains) but they're both a bit on the somber side and we'd like
>> something a bit more lively.
>>
>> We'd be particularly interested in folk (Minyo) or regional
>> (Jiuta) music.
>>
>> If anyone knows of trios for shakuhachi not listed above, we'd like
>> to hear from you.
>>
>> Suggestions or pointers to notation would be also be welcome.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> bj

--=20
Karl Young
University of California, SF Phone: (415) 221-4810 x3114 lab
VA Medical Center, MRS Unit (114M) (415) 750-9463 home
4150 Clement Street FAX: (415) 668-2864
San Francisco, CA 94121 Email: kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu