Re: shakuhachi V1 #481

From: Riley Lee (riley@rileylee.net)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 03:21:02 PST

--Apple-Mail-29-924665998
        charset=US-ASCII;
        format=flowed

In one of the workshops at the Tokyo "World Shakuhachi Summit" in
August 2002, Simura Satosi and a couple of his colleagues demonstrated
a software program that they had developed which automatically
translated Tozan, Chikuho and Kinko notation into either of the other
notation systems. The most difficult part for them was dealing with the
duration. They chose to notate duration using modified staff notation
symbols in a separate column to the right of the katakana fingering
symbols.

The program worked, but the end result was somewhat of a challenge to
read. I suppose however, that with time and practice one could learn to
read it. It was certainly not as cryptic as some of the traditional
Kinko scores. I was somewhat reluctantly promised a copy of the
program, which was still in its beta form, but no luck so far....

Best regards, Riley

On 16/12/2003, at 7:20 PM, shakuhachi wrote:

> From: bjones@weber.ucsd.edu (Bruce Jones)
>
>> From: Karl Young <kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu>
>>
>> ...which reminds me again of how useful a Western <-> Kinko, Tozan,...
>> automated translation tool would be
>
> I can see how a Western <-> Tozan conversion might be possible.
> To me it looks like Tozan notation is an attempt at capturing the
> elements of Western notation in a more traditional looking form.
>
> But when it comes to Kinko, I think the project would be difficult
> if not impossible. Is there a (even more or less) one-to-one
> correspondence between western notation and Kinko?
>
> Not that I wouldn't mind having such a system, I'm just curious
> about the possibilty of writing one.
>
> bj

Sound of Bamboo
PO Box 939, Manly NSW 1655, Australia
tel. +612 9976 6904
fax +612 9976 6905
mobile +612 414 626 453
www.rileylee.net
--Apple-Mail-29-924665998
        charset=US-ASCII

[...]

</excerpt>

I can see how a Western <<-> Tozan conversion might be possible.

To me it looks like Tozan notation is an attempt at capturing the

elements of Western notation in a more traditional looking form.

But when it comes to Kinko, I think the project would be difficult

if not impossible. Is there a (even more or less) one-to-one

correspondence between western notation and Kinko?

Not that I wouldn't mind having such a system, I'm just curious

about the possibilty of writing one.

bj

</excerpt>

PO Box 939, Manly NSW 1655, Australia