Re: shakuhachi V1 #483

From: jeff cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 04:16:00 PST

Joel,
Since honkyoku has been taken as far out of its original context as it's
ever going to be, it seems to be experiencing some unusual stresses; the
sort that create evolutionary change. From that stand point, I think that
what is evolving is a new beast, initially similar enough to its starting
point, but nonetheless, different and moving in a direction away from its
origin. As such, discussions of finding or adapting or mutating a notation
system to specifically describe a piece are an attempt to flesh out that new
reality. In fact, it would seem to me that abosultely anything is worth the
experiment. Whether it was good or right or better or has merit will be
judged in retrospect no doubt as things tend to be. Is this the start of a
rennaisance?
jeff cairns