RE: [Shaku] Fw: yuu report

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 08:17:48 PST

Hey Gene and all,

In regards to the words of my sensei concerning the Yuu thaty I shared wi=
th=20
Gene off-the list serve:

My teacher did not express this opinion for public consumption but rather=
=20
stated it in a closed room with just the two of us.

I think he would be a very surprised to hear that his words went from his=
=20
mouth to my ear to the entire shakuhachi community of North America and=20
beyond.

Please bear in mind that my teacher is, if anything, a very gracious, fai=
r=20
and polite man. He never would express an official opinion for public=20
consumption without investing a tremendous amount of thought and=20
investigation. Spending thirty seconds or so with a flute and uttering =
a=20
few flippant comments between friends is not a serious evaluation. (And=
=20
there is also the possibility that he was hesitant to say something negat=
ive=20
that would dissapoint his eager student.)

I like the Yuu, but in all honesty my opinion matters for very, very litt=
le.=20
  I have been in the shakuhachi community long enough to know that it is=20
best to be extremely over-the-top humble when it comes to expressing an=20
opinion on anything shakuhachi related. Mostly because whenever I have h=
ad=20
a hard opinion on a topic a month later I often learn that I was totally=20
wrong. Therefore, because I am very aware of my lack of authority on thi=
s=20
topic, I would have prefered to have kept my opinions on this topic betw=
een=20
Gene and myself.

Best regards,
Stav