Re: [Shaku] Yuu Arrived - nakatsugi

From: Feadog@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 15:32:35 PST

-------------------------------1074209555

Earlier this week the email, below, mistakenly went to the list, instead of
just to Gene.

The tenon and socket of the Yuu joint are machined with precision for a
"snug" fit.

I applied vaseline, and initially tried a twisting, back and forth, motion to
assemble the sections.

Gene pointed out, that there were alignment marks on the joints, etc. I put
my reading glassed on, and was pleased to see the attention to this detail. I
aligned the marks, and easily pushed the sections together without twisting. I
then verified disassembly using the standand technique, and was pleased that
it came apart as it should. I reassembled it without a problem. I did remove
the vaseline, and substituted a cork grease used for woodwinds. There's also a
Japanese pomade, Gene told me about, that is recommended for bamboo shakuhachi
joints, and can be used with the Yuu.

I did not want to leave the impression that there was a problem with the Yuu.
In retrospect, it was me, and my anxiousness to assemble it in a hurry.

By the way, the Yuu comes with a very nice manual. It even has several
clearly written Kinko tunes that are ideal for a beginner. Unfortunately, the manual
is written in Japanese, but the illustrations are helpful. Best of all,
besides the Yuu, is the (what's it called??). It's concentric plastic circular
wheels that at first reminded me of a circle of fifths, but maybe it's to show how
to transpose keys. I'd like to learn how to use it. There's a picture on
Nagase Kenji's web site. I don't know if this comes standard with the Yuu, or if
Nagase Kenji was feeling generous when he packed my Yuu.

Bill

In a message dated 1/12/2004 3:11:23 PM Eastern Standard Time, Feadog@aol.com