Re: [Shaku] Re: John Singer Interview - Beginner - Playing Western Tunes?

From: Feadog@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 04:22:19 PST

--part1_1de.16ec9ce5.2d39317b_boundary

Alex,

Yes, you can play western music on the shakuhachi. The standard shakuhachi
has 5 holes, but they are also available with 7 holes to facilitate playing
western tunes.

Check out Monty's web site, Shakuhachi Tools, for a fingering chart for 5 & 7
hole shakuhachi, and western and Japanese notations.

http://www.shakuhachi.com

Bill

In a message dated 1/16/2004 6:52:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
duriank24@yahoo.com.sg writes:

> Can the Shakuhachi flute play western tune and what advice would you give a
> begineer like me who never touch a Japanese flute before and how many holes
> are there and how is the fingering like?
>
> Thank and regards,
> Alex

--part1_1de.16ec9ce5.2d39317b_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Alex,<BR>
<BR>
Yes, you can play western music on the shakuhachi. The standard shakuhachi h=
as 5 holes, but they are also available with 7 holes to facilitate playing w=
estern tunes.<BR>
<BR>
Check out Monty's web site, Shakuhachi Tools, for a fingering chart for 5 &a=
mp; 7 hole shakuhachi, and western and Japanese notations.<BR>
<BR>
http://www.shakuhachi.com>
<BR>
Bill<BR>
<BR>
In a message dated 1/16/2004 6:52:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, duriank24@yah=
oo.com.sg writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Can the Shakuhachi flute play w=
estern tune and what advice would you give a begineer like me who never touc=
h a Japanese flute before and how many holes are there and how is the finger=
ing like?<BR>
 <BR>
Thank and regards,<BR>
Alex<BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>
--part1_1de.16ec9ce5.2d39317b_boundary--