[Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #512

From: jeff cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Sat Jan 17 2004 - 04:59:00 PST

This is in reply to the question whether the shakuhachi can play western
music.
One reply was that there was a 7 holed instrument that would accommodate
western music. I would like to add that the 5 holed version also works.
It's not the instrument that plays, but the instrumentalist. It's true that
the 7 holed version allows the execution of certain more 'western' notes to
be played 'more easily' in relation to others, but the same notes can be
played on a 5 holed version and perhaps with a greater range of subtlety (I
venture out on a limb).
I certainly don't want to lead the novice player on to believe that
'western' music suddenly springs forth from either of these versions of the
instrument though. Whether western or eastern, it's important that
attention to the fundementals of the instrument be focused on in the
beginning to make any music that is satisfying to either the player or the
listener later on.
This, of course, is my humble opinion based on my experience.
good luck at any rate,
jeff