[Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #514

From: RbtJonas@aol.com
Date: Mon Jan 19 2004 - 06:59:37 PST

--part1_1cf.181104fa.2d3d4ad9_boundary

Dear shakuhachi friends,

I am impressed and humbled by all the deep reflections that have have graced
these pages concerning our community standards of civility. I understand
that the conversation has seemed to be an unnecessary diversion to some newslist
members, but I think it's healthy. Even though I haven't participated until
now, I have learned a lot, if only from monitoring my own responses. I'm
reminded of situations in both Buddhist and Christian monasteries and retreat
centers, where some people want to just do what they came for--say, to meditate
or to pray--but are interrupted and asked to deal with broken water pipes, no
money to pay the cook, or a decompensating fellow monk or retreatant. Every
spiritual practice happens in a context whose dynamics and boundaries need
constant vigilance. Every spiritual context needs to feel safe enough to "hold"
the surrender of the practice. In this Sunday's NY Times there's an
interesting article about how many Native American communities--overrun and decimated
by drugs, alcohol and crime--are returning to their ancient practice of
banishment.

Kyosei mentioned the practice of "Atonement" in some Buddhist monasteries,
whereby a public confession is accepted, but if the perpetrator violates the
standards repeatedly, he or she must leave. This graduated response may be
appropriate in our situation, I really don't know. In our case, the language
that was used felt so violent, I hesitate to forgive too soon. We also have a
situation where it turns out that the perpetrator has been treating individuals
in inappropriate ways off-line. How can Bruce or anyone monitor what
happens off the newslist? This may be difficult to impossible. Perhaps I'm too
sensitive and over-reacting, but I must be honest in saying that I have had
fears of actual violence following upon the violent-sounding words. I can
imagine that certain of our newslist members have had at least the passing thought
that they might be in physical danger. This tells me that the safety of our
communications is imperiled and that permanent banishment might be
appropriate. I would feel the loss of a colorful, often helpful and knowledgeable
person, but I value the whole community more than the contributions of any
particular person.

Peace,
Jonas

--part1_1cf.181104fa.2d3d4ad9_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Tim=
es" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZE=3D"4">Dear shakuhachi friends,<BR>
<BR>
I am impressed and humbled by all the deep reflections that have have graced=
 these pages concerning our community standards of civility.&nbsp; I unders=
tand that the conversation has seemed to be an unnecessary diversion to some=
 newslist members, but I think it's healthy.&nbsp; Even though I haven't pa=
rticipated until now, I have learned a lot, if only from monitoring my own r=
esponses.&nbsp; I'm reminded of situations in both Buddhist and Christian m=
onasteries and retreat centers, where some people want to just do what they=20=
came for--say, to meditate or to pray--but are interrupted and asked to deal=
 with broken water pipes, no money to pay the cook, or a decompensating fell=
ow monk or retreatant.&nbsp; Every spiritual practice happens in a context=20=
whose dynamics and boundaries need constant vigilance.&nbsp; Every spiritua=
l context needs to feel safe enough to "hold" the surrender of the practice.=
&nbsp; In this Sunday's NY Times there's an interesting article about how m=
any Native American communities--overrun and decimated by drugs, alcohol and=
 crime--are returning to their ancient practice of banishment.&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
Kyosei mentioned the practice of "Atonement" in some Buddhist monasteries, w=
hereby a public confession is accepted, but if the perpetrator violates the=20=
standards repeatedly, he or she must leave.&nbsp; This graduated response m=
ay be appropriate in our situation, I really don't know.&nbsp; In our case,=
 the language that was used felt so violent, I hesitate to forgive too soon.=
&nbsp; We also have a situation where it turns out that the perpetrator has=
 been treating individuals in inappropriate ways off-line.&nbsp; How can Br=
uce or anyone monitor what happens off the newslist?&nbsp; This may be diff=
icult to impossible.&nbsp; Perhaps I'm too sensitive and over-reacting, but=
 I must be honest in saying that I have had fears of actual violence followi=
ng upon the violent-sounding words.&nbsp; I can imagine that certain of our=
 newslist members have had at least the passing thought that they might be i=
n physical danger.&nbsp; This tells me that the safety of our communication=
s is imperiled and that permanent banishment might be appropriate.&nbsp; I=20=
would feel the loss of a colorful, often helpful and knowledgeable person, b=
ut I value the whole community more than the contributions of any particular=
 person.<BR>
<BR>
Peace,<BR>
Jonas</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#000000" FACE=3D"Times" FAMILY=3D"SERIF" SIZE=3D"=
4"></FONT></HTML>

--part1_1cf.181104fa.2d3d4ad9_boundary--