[Shaku] re:itty bitty shakuhachi

From: nemo2000@att.net
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 05:41:24 PST

Hi Peter, Ed and Morris,

Actually it's not a typo. The precurser to the komuso shakuhachi is called hitoyogiri. It's 1.1 in
length and pitch is A, one octave higher than 2.4. The oldest extant shakuhachi in museums and
temple treasuries are short flutes like this. It is made from non-root end bamboo. When Ikkyu
mentions shakuhachi in his poetry he is referring to hitoyogiri. The only recordings I have of
hitoyogiri are by Shinku Dan and by Tsuzan Fujiyoshi. I got them from Mejiro. If anybody knows
of other recordings I'd be interested. There are also a few recordings of tempuku on the CD "A
Collection of Unique Musical Instruments" on King Records. Tempuku is an even more primitive
version of shakuhachi, also short. The komuso lengthened the shakuhachi to its current
standard and started making it from the root end to make a more effective weapon of it. Of
course this is an oversimplified version of history, but that's the broad outline.

Regards,

BR