[Shaku] Sankyoku-Camp

From: Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin (Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 24 2004 - 09:09:36 PST

Hi everybody,

Before I write about the Sankyoku-Camp, I want to inform everybody
(unofficially!) that the Colorado Camp is happening again this year in late
June. I spoke to Cory today and just found out. This is an unqualified
recommendation to attend this wonderful Camp that has been developed over
the years by Cory, David, Riley, Michael and Sensei's- Kurahashi, Furuya,
Kakizakai,and Matama ! (To this end, if Phil Nyokai James is reading this,
or if anyone sees him, it is very important that he contact Cory Sperry!)
The new information is not up yet, but it will be shortly. If you have an
immediate question, I'm sure that you could contact Cory Sperry
<sperrycs@aol.com> Again, I recommend this Camp as a fantastic experience
for all of you.

This is, indeed, a wonderful year for Shakuhachi enthusiasts ! (In a
separate email, I will be announcing some openings on a Shakuhachi trip to
Japan !) I sincerely hope that all of you can take advantage of as many of
the events as you can - culminating in what is looking like the "largest
gathering ever" of Shakuhachi players- the New York Shakuhachi Festival
-July 29-Aug.1, 2004 <www.BigAppleShak.com> One of the highlights will be
the largest panel discussion and concert ever by women Shakuhachi Masters-
with 11 women partaking from 4 continents! Register soon to guarantee a spot
and to help us with logistics. You still get the 10% discount if you send
the fee up by June 1, 2004.

I did want to give you all a "heads-up" on what we will be doing at the
"Fellowship Farm" location in PA. this year. For the past two years , led by
myself and Kurahashi-Sensei, we have had a full 4 day Shakuhachi Camp
(KiSuiAn Camp). This year, in an attempt at making it more affordable for
enthusiasts to be able to attend both the Sankyoku-Camp and the (4th
International Festival) we are having the Sankyoku-Camp for only 2 full days
(June 12-14, 2004). It will be half the time and half the money of the
previous two years Camps. And it will be devoted to the performance,
teaching and analysis of the SANKYOKU (Gaikyoku to Shakuhachi players!)
repertoire. Sangen and Koto players are invited as well as Shakuhachi
players. Due to the overwhelming praise and enthusiasm that Dr. Henry
Burnett has garnered, this year will feature his work and that of the New
York Sankyoku-Kai (Traditional Japanese Music Ensemble of New York):
Henry Horaku Burnett- Sangen
Mutsumi Takamizu- Koto
Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin- Shakuhachi
We have been together (with Henry and myself as the nucleus) for the past 25
years.

For a slide show, and to view last years program please go to:
http://www.nyogetsu.com/camp.html

Of course, I can answer any questions that you may have about any of the
above information. I hope to see you all often this year!

Regards,
Ronnie Nyogetsu Reishin Seldin
nyogetsu@nyogetsu.com
917-207-6724