[Shaku] Historical note on hitoyogiri

From: Thomas Hare (thare@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1970 - 13:42:45 PST

Having been away from email for a week, I didn't get right in on the=20
thread regarding the hitoyogiri, but I'll pop in now for an addendum.

The hitoyogiri is referred to as a 1.1 shakuhachi in most of the=20
general literature on the subject, but a fascinating article on=20
shakuhachi history in the substantial booklet that comes with Jin=20
Nyodo's collected performances -- I think it's by Prof. Kamisang=F4,=20
although I don't have it here before me, and could be mistaken --=20
points out that "hitoyogiri" and "shakuhachi" are synonymous in=20
medieval and early modern references. It's more or less reasonable to=20=

call a 1.1 hitoyogiri a "shakuhachi" because it can be considered 1=20
shaku and 8 bu long, more or less. (A bu is the next unit of linear=20
measure below a sun, so the informal name "shakuhachi" would in this=20
case mean 1.08 shaku rather than the 1.8 shaku more familiar to us.) =20
That said, though, the name "shakuhachi" doesn't specify length very=20
reliably, whether 1.8 or 1.08, and there are, as we know, "shakuhachi"=20=

measuring 1.6, 1.8, 2.1, 2.4, etc. etc. So also, there were=20
"hitoyogiri no shakuhachi" of various lengths. The instruments to=20
which Ikky=FB and others refer would not necessarily have been as short=20=

as 1.08 or 1.1.

Significant differences would all the same remain between a 1.8 komus=F4=20=

shakuhachi and a 1.8 hitoyogiri, in that the latter, as Karl points=20
out, would be less amenable to bending notes and altering their pitch. =20=

One reason for that is that hitoyogiri were made not from root stock=20
but higher up, and I believe Riley points out that they were also made=20=

with the mouthpiece cut from the lower end of the stalk rather than the=20=

higher (as is the case with komus=F4 shakuhachi) This would mean there=20=

was less thickness in the cylinder, and less to use for the bevel and=20
mouthpiece in order to alter the pitch of a given note, although it=20
might be going too far to say that the hitoyogiri is unable to bend the=20=

notes at all.

Best,
Tom Hare