Re: [Shaku] Shak workshop stream

From: Robert McNeil (robmcneil@virtualhive.com)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 03:13:59 PST

Hello shakuhachi players,
I am new to the list as a poster, but have been learning much from all
your conversations. I live outside Philadelphia, PA and study with
Ronnie Seldin. Each Spring and Fall, I host special intensive sessions
with Yoshio Kurahashi Sensei. Ronnie sets these up as part of Yoshio's
tour. Our next one in scheduled for February 17th to 19th. Private
lessons with sensei are also available. Please email be back if you are
in town and want to attend any of the sessions or schedule a private
lesson. You can contact me off list.

Secondly, I am curious if any one else is playing with Apple's new app.
"Garage Band" I am finding it to be a new learning tool for technique
and a fun way to practice. I figure that anything that keeps my lips on
the flute for a longer time and helps me to concentrate on the music is
a good thing. With it you can place tracks and then play live along
side the tracks or record you own track. I am wondering if anyone has
tried to lay down a koto track and then played along with it. Since I
haven't grown up with this music, learning all the nuances of it has
proven most difficult. But hearing it, playing it, playing with someone
else, and now making my own "difficult sections" seems to be a good way
to learn. Anyone else fooling around with Garage Band? I'd love to hear
about your practice sessions, and if this post is too off topic, I
apologize. Feel free to contact me off list.

Robert McNeil