Re: [Shaku] Pomade for Nakatsugi

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 09:08:00 PST

>From shakuhachi-request@communication.ucsd.edu Sun Feb 1 14:16:50 2004
>
>Thanks for the tip re. what to use on joints; does anyone know the
>criteria that that recommendation is based on ? I've been using cork
>grease that's sold for keeping the cork on the joints of woodwind
>instruments from drying out. I'm not exactly sure what it contains; it
>seems pretty harmless, but I'd be interested to know if e.g. this is
>slowly eroding the lacquer ...

If that stuff erodes or softens urushi I would like to order a
gallon please. I've been experimenting with ways to remove urushi
and cashew (and ji) from the bore of a flute and have not found
anything that will cut the stuff. And from my own use, I'd be
really surprised if it had any effect at all.

I have a couple of flutes with loose joints. I use bee's wax rubbed
on the joint to tighten them up. In cold weather, when the joint
is the loosest, the wax makes an air-tight seal, When the weather
or flute warms up, and the joint naturally gets tighter, the wax
simply flows out of the way.

Because the wax is so stiff, I've been mixing a small amount into
the wax on the joint. This makes it easier to dis/assemble the
flute and increases the fluidity of the wax.

In more than 8 years of using the stuff, I have yet to see any
erosion in the joint.

bj

-