[Shaku] builder's workshop

From: jeff cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Tue Feb 17 2004 - 02:42:00 PST

Greetings All,
Over the time that I have been participating in this mailing list I have
become aware both onlist and off that there are some who have taken up the
the art and craft of shakuhachi building. To those of you living outside of
Japan, resources and reliable first hand instruction may be hard to come by.
With that in mind, I am offering this possibility.
In November (exact dates haven't been hard set) we are considering putting
together a builder's workshop in Kumamoto, Japan under the direction of 50+
year master maker Tsurugi Kyomudo. The workshop will run about 8 days and
will take the participant all the way from takehori (selecting and digging
bamboo) to a finished shakuchachi less urushi (time is the problem with the
final step of applying urushi. The techinique of applying urushi will be
demonstrated however.)
Each participant will come out of the course of the workshop with detailed
instruction in all phases of making shakuhachi including repairs.
Aside from the knowledge aquired, each participant will go home with a
finished shakuhachi (less urushi) and two root culms that they took from the
ground themselves.
Participants will be housed in beautiful cottages overlooking the Ariake Sea
with a first class onsen at their doorstep.
Breakfasts will be included . If you have tools, you would be asked to bring
them. Otherwise, we can arrange to buy the basic tools needed here for you.
We feel that a maximum of 10 participants can be accommodated.
If any of you are interested in this workshop, please contact me offlist for
more details at shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp or shaku8@windwheel.com
the best to all,
Jeff Cairns
.