[Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #551

From: Riley Lee (riley@rileylee.net)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 14:01:43 PST

--Apple-Mail-6-753972389
        charset=US-ASCII;
        format=flowed

Hello Deana.

The Japanese word for daffodil, though pronounced 'suizen', is not
related to the 'suizen' of the shakuhachi. They are homonyms, and
etymologically are related only in the same way that 'bred' and 'bread'
or 'dough' and 'doe' are.

The word daffodil literally translates as 'water hermit or wizard',
while the shakuhachi related 'suizen' translates as 'blowing
meditation'. The full name for daffodil is 'rappa suizen' ('bugle-water
wizard'). Also, there are no references to daffodils in the shakuhachi
literature, to my knowledge. Sorry.

Needless to say, this doesn't necessarily lessen the value of your
experience.

Best regards, Riley

On 23/03/2004, at 6:39 AM, shakuhachi wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:49:17 -0600
> From: "Deana Dearry" <vivawisconsin@ameritech.net>
> To: <shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu>
> Subject: Suisen and Shakuhachi
>
> I have a rather strange question - I know - but it relates to
> something =
> that I experienced during zazen over the weekend. Can anyone share any
> =
> knowledge, history, or lore regarding Shakuhachi and Daffodils? I =
> couldn't shake the experience (and didn't want to) but I was stunned =
> when I looked up the Japanese word for daffodil. Is there a
> Suisen/Sui =
> Zen correlation?
>
> Thank you,
> Deana Dearry=20

[...]