Re: [Shaku] is empty blowing unmusical?

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 12:52:27 PST

At 05:36 PM 3/27/2004 -0800, joel taylor wrote:
>Empty blowing should not be without musical value.

That's one opinion. You or anyone else has every right to perform that
way. Or are you referring only to the listener's interpretation, rather
than the performer's style?

> The surface musical qualities of this approach are severity, and
> modesty; but it is also possible for a player to express mystery, depth,
> reverence, devotion, and other qualities, within the limits of the style.

Are you saying that the "limits of the [kyosui] style" can include vibrato,
unwritten ornaments, or changes of dynamic unrelated to the natural end of
a breath? If so, I disagree but accept your right to that opinion.

Karl