[Shaku] Re: empty blowing discussion

From: joel taylor (joel.g.taylor@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 19:05:26 PST

t 05:36 PM 3/27/2004 -0800, joel taylor wrote:
>Empty blowing should not be without musical value.

Karl S wrote:

That's one opinion. You or anyone else has every right to perform that
way. Or are you referring only to the listener's interpretation, rather
than the performer's style?

No, I'm referring to the strict performance style.
The style you seem to detest so much...which i understand by the way.

> The surface musical qualities of this approach are severity, and
> modesty; but it is also possible for a player to express mystery, depth,
> reverence, devotion, and other qualities, within the limits of the style.

K:
Are you saying that the "limits of the [kyosui] style" can include vibrato,
unwritten ornaments, or changes of dynamic unrelated to the natural end of
a breath? If so, I disagree but accept your right to that opinion.

J: No. I do not mean that. I mean that there is still some room
within the very strict style we are discussing for the expression of
some musical qualities.
Even a tone played with no vibrato, where the dynamic follows the
natural course of the breath, has dynamic, and I would say musical,
qualities.

And besides, stillness is also a quality. Movement and stillness are
part of the same thing.

As far as my personal playing or shakuhachi practice, I am only a
beginner in honkyoku, and i make no claim to be anything else.

i specialize in electroacoustic improvisation - i'm usally playing in
a completely contemporary, often atonal, microtone saturated style,
with other instruments, also played by weird people like myself,
where multiphonics and other special effects are used all the time,
because the very essence of the music is often purely timbral or
textural.

in improvisation, i also occasionally try to be artless, which means
something similar to but different from the style we're discussing, i
think.
again, i don't want to give you the impression i'm any expert on
anything about japanese classical music or any kind!

this thread started because i found your distate for the [kyosui]
style a bit grating. you seem to have an axe to grind about it, so i
thought i'd poke and see if you had something to say about it.

Do you?

I'm really just saying that I don't find that playing Kyorei as I was
taught it in this single lesson by someone considered to be qualified
to teach- in other words, with no ornamentation, natural dynamics,
everything very very constrained, is, or can be, and i think probably
should be, musical.

Ok?

Stay well,
Have fun playing shakuhachi!

Joel

"You can say whatever you like with a slide trombone, but you have to
be careful with words." - Louis Armstrong

--
Joel Taylor