[Shaku] Re: Hanko photos

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 11:24:43 PST

>From: Bill Fletcher <bill@scienceandart.com>
>
>Thanks for your words of support for the project. I've had a couple
>of emails but only one link to a maker. I hope people will find
>the time and interest to contribute photos.

I think once the site is up it will find both users and contributers.
It's not the kind of project that a lot of people will have resources
for - altho everyone would benefit from photographing their flutes.

I take a group of photos of every one of mine:

        Full length front, back, right & left sides;
        Hanko (if applicable);
        Utaguchi
        "Footprint" (the end of the root)

I want enough photo evidence to be able to make a positive ID
if the flute is ever stolen (and recovered).

>I'm still leary of putting up "one flute" maker's that are guesses.
>Although perhaps their could be a section just for that though .
>. . the unsure section.

The history of the shakuhachi is "unsure", the ability of most of us
to get a given note at a desired time is "unsure" - why not a
website of hanko photos that are equal to the task? (Besides, it
will give us something else to argue^H^H^H^H^Hdiscuss on the list :-)

>You have several on your site though that
>are known makers. I can download some of the photos if you don't
>mind. Unless you have or can make better hanko photos.

I have better photos - ones that have not been reduced in size for
the web. I'll make those available to you.

>There is none on your site for for Ryuho and I should have him.
>
>Also Yokoyama Ranpo.

Okay.

>Kyosui is a name I don't know, but the text on your site infers
>that he is a known maker. I'd like that hanko also.

Okay.

>I can probably "sharpen" the hanko for Kaneyasu Dodo in Photoshop.

Okay.

> Is "Keisui" a known maker or an interpretation of this hanko.
> It is a very clear photo.

Don't know.

This question and those below are probably more profitably directed
at Peter Hill (bodhigaze@yahoo.com). They're his flutes and his
research into the reading.

>There is a Shozan on your site and a Shozan who currently makes
>shakuhachi for Mejiro. Could this be the same maker?? The current
>Shozan was a student of Chikusen Tamai. Apparently a good number
>of modern makers were students of Chikusen Tamai but I can find
>nothing about his flutes on the web except one at Ronnies site (a
>Chikusen 1 and the current Chikusen).

Perfect example of above.

>I think I need to break into Ronnie Seldon's house and take photos
>of his collection! There are a lot of pre-modern era quality makers
>there like Chikuho Sakai 1 & II. (another "Chiku". That is a
>recurring theme here including Bon"chiku". Do you know what it
>means?

Chiku means bamboo. So Bon Chiku is (I guess) good bamboo (e.g.,
ichi-bon meaning both #1 and "first rate").

>Well I expect this will be an "over the years" project. I could
>probably get a lot of hanko & flute photos at the New York festival.

Oh, I'd be taking a good camera to that one.

>BTW, do you know yet if you are you going to New York?

Doesn't look like it. I'm already two months behind on building my
house addition (doubling the size of the place (from 600 sq ft to
1200 sq ft - a mansion!)) and expect to be in the thick of it come
August.