Re: [Shaku] pitch and temp

From: edBeaty (edosan@boulder.net)
Date: Fri Apr 02 2004 - 19:55:12 PST

--============_-1131157974==_ma============

>I've often wondered about the relationship of pitch and room
>temperature. Obviously, flutes play flat in cold weather and sharp
>in warm weather and there are ways to adjust for this, but at what
>temperature are flutes optimally in tune and to what degree (no pun
>intended) do makers take this into consideration? In other words,
>if it's 55 degrees and my instrument is playing 15 cents flat, is
>that "normal"? Should it play well in tune at 70 degrees and sharp
>at 80 degrees? Has anyone studied this?

All well and good to consider, but remember that we are talking about
shakuhachi here....not Boehm flutes or Selmer saxophones.

A smidgen of head movement up or down renders all these thoughts
fairly moot, I'd think.

Hmmmmm?

eB

--============_-1131157974==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
relationship of pitch and room temperature.&nbsp; Obviously, flutes
play flat in cold weather and sharp in warm weather and there are ways
to adjust for this, but at what temperature are flutes optimally in
tune and to what degree (no pun intended) do makers take this into
consideration?&nbsp; In other words, if it's 55 degrees and my
instrument is playing 15 cents flat, is that &quot;normal&quot;?&nbsp;
Should it play well in tune at 70 degrees and sharp at 80 degrees?&nbsp;
Has anyone studied this?</blockquote>
about<i> shakuhachi</i> here....not Boehm flutes or Selmer
saxophones.</div>
fairly moot, I'd think.</div>