[Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #564

From: Bill O'Connor (billo44@gaea.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 01:02:59 PDT

Hi Folks,
Pitch is certainly important if you are playing Shakuhachi in an ensemble,
my experience of ensemble playing in Japan the Koto players will consult the
Shakuhachi players before tuning their Koto. Shakuhachi pitch is always
going to be a bit high when the ambient temperature is around 30degC in
summer.
Sounds bloody awful if everyone is out of tune...sadly this is all too often
the case.

Seems that tuning a Koto is not that straightforward, they need regular
professional attention to sound really good.

Yokoyama-Sensei was always very strict on pitch, I presume he still is.
Clearly WatazumiDo was not strict about pitch in the sense of the western
equal temperament scale...didn't we do this discussion before on this list a
few years back. Can anyone link to the relevant archive pages?

Cherry blossoms are out in Southern Nagano now, good time for Shakuhachi
playing...Spring festival next weekend, once every seven years we carry a
bloody big log (I mean BIG) around the town for no apparent reason, getting
drunk along the way...all very pagan, I'm looking forward to it.

I take the digest form of this list, so if my reply is out of synch

Bill.