Re: [Shaku] pitch and temp

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 15:06:25 PDT

At 02:41 PM 4/5/2004 -0700, Philip Gelb wrote:

>I think it is fair to assume that shakuhachi players in older times had
>ears and used them.

Yes. We know that humans mostly learn "correct" pitches by having them
imprinted at an early age, somewhat like language sounds. With great
effort, some of us can override that early pitch set and become bi- or
multi-lingual (musical pitch-wise). I'm curious whether anyone has
evidence of the pitch set(s) used by various komuso. John Singer, for
one. Riley, for another?

Karl