Re: [Shaku] RE: Pitch and Temp

From: HeirPhoto@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 18:13:39 PDT

--part1_36.550a783c.2da4afc3_boundary

> >wonder - hundreds of years ago did people worry
> about
> >such things or if they just played. As long as you
> >enjoy playing whats it matter?

Okay, I realize they had ears and did indeed use them <g> BUT, I always come
back to the same question......how did we get where we are today?

I realize we all came to shakuhachi for different reasons and with different
goals but I got the impression from many of the posts that if one is not
playing in perfect pitch and style we are not reaching our, or the shakuhachis full
potential.

I can't believe the earliest flutes or Hochiku were capable of playing with
the balance of todays instruments or that those who first played them had the
same standards we have today. At what point was there this separation of
"rawness" where a piece of bamboo was simply cut, hollowed, holes drilled and played
 to the refinements of shaped designed bores favored today?

Tony Miller

--part1_36.550a783c.2da4afc3_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I <BR>
&gt; &gt;wonder - hundreds of years ago did people worry <BR>
&gt; about <BR>
&gt; &gt;such things or if they just played. As long as you <BR>
&gt; &gt;enjoy playing whats it matter? <BR>
&gt; <BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Okay, I realize they had ears and did indeed use them &lt;g&gt; BUT, I alway=
s come back to the same question......how did we get where we are today?<BR>
<BR>
I realize we all came to shakuhachi for different reasons and with different=
 goals but I got the impression from many of the posts that if one is not pl=
aying in perfect pitch and style we are not reaching our, or the shakuhachis=
 full potential. <BR>
<BR>
I can't believe the earliest flutes or Hochiku were capable of playing with=20=
the balance of todays instruments or that those who first played them had th=
e same standards we have today. At what point was there this separation of "=
rawness" where a piece of bamboo was simply cut, hollowed, holes drilled and=
 played&nbsp; to the refinements of shaped designed bores favored today?<BR>
<BR>
Tony Miller<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></HTML>