Re: [Shaku] recording shakuhachi

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 09:06:22 PDT

>From shakuhachi-request@communication.ucsd.edu Thu Apr 22 18:06:43 2004
>
>I wish to purchase simple and reasonably budget priced recording equipment
>to help me evaluate and improve on my shakuhachi playing.

Last year my girlfriend bought me a Sony MD (Mini-Disk) Recording
Walkman to use to record my lessons. While using it I discovered
that I can put on a pair of headphones while recording and hear
myself from a different perspective. It's as though I'm in my own
audience. I don't know if it's the amplification (altho playing
while using an amp doesn't seem to have the same effect) or the
fact that the headphone isolate the sound and dampen all other
"noise" in the room.

The overall effect is that I hear what I'm doing much more clearly
*while* playing, which allows me to work more closely on my sound.

I don't know what your sense of "reasonably priced" is, but these
things are around $200, and the mic was another $90 (Sony, stereo
lav mic). The MD came with a pretty nice set of headphones.

And, aside from the listening stuff above, you get recordings that
you can edit in the Walkman or dump to your computer for later
manipulation.

bj

-