Re: [Shaku] question concerning pvc - the search for tone/style

From: Paul Cohen (paulcohen@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 22:34:34 PDT

Hi,

Well, I definitely fall into "2-Folks who want a better traditional
flute, but have serious financial constraints" and for me it works fine
to learn on.
I'd love to get a hand made bamboo, but that will have to wait a while
till financial things turn around I'm afraid.

>>He mentioned that he thought it was good for what it was , albeit too
harsh and bright for HONKYOKU.

Interestingly I had a lesson the other week and both Riley and Carl had
a quick test of my Yuu. Having only heard myself play (and the odd PC
recording of my bad technique) I have to say that it did sound a little
brighter than the bamboo ones I heard during the lesson periods, which
perhaps sounded a little more rounded and darker.

I don't want to start that whole tired materials debate, but are there
any other Yuu players out there with an opinion on it's merits for
Honkyoko?
Are these some key tonal qualities for Honkyoko?

On a more general musical note, how do these tonal qualaties differ for
different styles and are there particular makes of shakuhachi that are
more preferred for these styles because of it? (gee..I hope that's not a
can of worms I just opened up:-)

Cheers,
pc