[Shaku] YUU

From: macshute2@aol.com
Date: Mon May 03 2004 - 08:20:44 PDT

--part1_24.552cbdcb.2dc7bd4c_boundary

Hi Dave,
I am new to Shakuhachi. Could you explain to me what Yuu and Hochico are
that you mentioned in your response?

I just joined the list, and recently got a 1.8 from Monty. My interest are
in the use for healing and meditation. I make Native American Style flutes by
hand and use them in the hospital where I volunteer to do sound healing work
with patients to relieve stress, lower pain, and help them heal themselves. I
work with sound/energy/vibrations including tingshas and singing bowls. I
recently retired and have been able to expand into more important things. A year
ago I could not get a sound out of a shak, but this year a little voice told
me I could now play and thats one more thing I am doing.

I do have a question, if anyone can help, related to the Komuso wandering
monks that played healing songs for people. May be there is no longer
information available. Did the Komuso play certain songs with a set healing intent and
were certain songs used because of there tonal quality affect? Is there
information on the history and intent of these songs?

    Thanks, Malcolm CT NAFlute Circle/ player/ maker/ sound therapy

Just an additional note. I just got back from the Flute Spring ( an East
coast gathering of NA flute makers and players held every spring). In addition
to the NA players, we had a shak play (not counting myself) and a number of
individuals involved in healing work.

--part1_24.552cbdcb.2dc7bd4c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hi Dave,<BR>
I am new to Shakuhachi.&nbsp; Could you explain to me what Yuu and Hochico a=
re that you mentioned in your response?<BR>
<BR>
I just joined the list, and recently got a 1.8 from Monty.&nbsp; My interest=
 are in the use for healing and meditation.&nbsp; I make Native American Sty=
le flutes by hand and use them in the hospital where I volunteer to do sound=
 healing work with patients to relieve stress, lower pain, and help them hea=
l themselves.&nbsp; I work with sound/energy/vibrations including tingshas a=
nd singing bowls.&nbsp; I recently retired and have been able to expand into=
 more important things.&nbsp; A year ago I could not get a sound out of a sh=
ak, but this year a little voice told me I could now play and thats one more=
 thing I am doing.<BR>
<BR>
I do have a question, if anyone can help, related to the Komuso wandering mo=
nks that played healing songs for people.&nbsp; May be there is no longer in=
formation available.&nbsp; Did the Komuso play certain songs with a set heal=
ing intent and were certain songs used because of there tonal quality affect=
?&nbsp; Is there information on the history and intent of these songs?<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks, Malcolm&nbsp;&nbsp; CT NAFlute Circle/ player/ ma=
ker/ sound therapy<BR>
<BR>
Just an additional note.&nbsp; I just got back from the Flute Spring ( an Ea=
st coast gathering of NA flute makers and players held every spring).&nbsp;=20=
In addition to the NA players, we had a shak play (not counting myself) and=20=
a number of individuals involved in healing work.</FONT></HTML>

--part1_24.552cbdcb.2dc7bd4c_boundary--