[Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #601

From: jeff cairns (shaku8@iris.dti.ne.jp)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 05:50:00 PDT

On the point of discussion regarding whether playing shakuhachi
automatically qualifies one as a practicing Zen Buddhist (my own
paraphrase), I would like to pose a further question:
Q. Is it at all possible to play any honkyoku with mindfulness and
proficiency, beyond the shackles of techniclities without experiencing the
depth of space inherant in its design through the interplay of sound and
silence as they fluidly dance, retreat and explode from places that speak
deeply to our core and not be exactly that experience?
I think what we find at that place is also that which is found at the depths
of a practice like Zen Buddhism or fly fishing or haiku composition...or
anything given the same parameters.
jeff