Re: [Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #601

From: Tim Cassler (tim@toolbox.net)
Date: Wed May 19 2004 - 06:13:15 PDT

jeff et al -

humbly, I'm not sure I even understand the question jeff poses, but here's a
two cent thought in the form of a hypothetical:

suppose Jesus finds a shakuhachi under an olive tree one day in the garden,
and begins to play it well. I think it's safe to say, (even based on
historical fact alone), that it does not "automatically qualify" Him as a
buddhist. (I may be off the point here as I've missed some of the discussion
and am basing this response to jeff and the list solely on jeff's recent
post. my apologies if I am missing the point. I sometimes can do that). :o)

maybe I'm overstating the obvious. I don't know. at any rate, I think it was
Monty who said something like: "...the flutemaker shapes the bore of the
flute, but God made the bamboo..." (something like that).

thanks be to God for such an incredibly cool thing as bamboo, and for the
beauty, passion, and spiritual and emotional expression that is inherent not
only in honkyoku, but in music from all over the planet. what a privilege it
is to be learning how to play this wonderful instrument, the shakuhachi.

--

Tim Cassler Toolbox Studios, Inc. 454 Soledad, Suite 100 San Antonio, TX 78205

210.225.8269 x111 fax.225.8200