[Shaku] Details re. Riley Lee's visit to SF Bay Area

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 12:56:53 PDT

Here are current details re. Riley Lee's visit to the SF bay area
6/18/2004 - 6/20/2004. Please let me know if there are any problems
re. where/when I've scheduled people for lessons or if I've left
anyone out; I've tried to satisfy
people's scheduling requests but may have missed something.
Directions to the various venues are included at the bottom.

Friday 6/18/2004 - Karl Young's house in San Francisco

Lessons:

10 AM - Allen Posey
12 PM - Karl Young

Friday afternoon Riley will rehearse
with Phil Gelb for Friday evenings concert

Concert at Clarion Music at 7:30 PM ($15 admission)
(if you have a chance check out the beautiful poster
that Bruce Jones graciously designed and produced for
the event)

Saturday 6/19/2004 - Nik Warren's house in Berkeley

Lessons:

11 AM - Nik Warren
12 PM - Eric Kopf
3 PM - Bill Fletcher
4 PM - Bruce Jones

Class:

7-9 PM - class on minyo/improvisation, balance to
         be determined by participants

Sunday 6/20/2004 - Nancy Beckman's house in Sebastopol

On Sunday morning Sue and I will be taking Riley out
for breakfast and a visit to our idyllic, converted
toxic waste dump in the mountains of western Sonoma
(~5 mile east of Fort Ross) which we hope to someday
turn into a site for various retreats (shakuhachi,
meditation, natural building,...). Anyone who wants
to come along is more than welcome; if there are more
than a couple of people interested we should work out
some sort of carpooling arrangement.

Lessons:

1 PM - Nancy Beckman
2 PM - Karl Young
3 PM - Elliot Kallen

After lessons we will spirit Riley off to dinner and a
session of the Alea Zen cult (really just a meditation
group based on the use of wind instruments created
by Buddhist teacher Jim Wilson) at Many Rivers Books
and Tea in Sebastopol starting at 7:30 PM. Again all
are welcome to any or all of these events.

Venues and directions:

Karl Young's house:

309 31st Ave. (corner of 31st and California)
San Francisco
415-750-9463

Directions:

 From the East Bay (cribbed from Mapquest):

After crossing the Bay Bridge:

Merge onto US-101 N toward MISSION ST. 0.7 miles

Take the US-101 N/MISSION ST exit
toward VAN NESS AVE/G G BRIDGE. 0.1 miles

Turn RIGHT onto MISSION ST/US-101 N.
Continue to follow US-101 N. 1.0 miles

Turn LEFT onto GEARY BLVD. 3.8 miles

Turn RIGHT onto 31ST AVE. 0.2 miles

End at 309 31ST AVE SAN FRANCISCO CA

 From the North Bay:

After crossing the Golden Gate Bridge:

Merge onto CA-1 S toward 19TH
AVE/GOLDEN GATE PARK. 1.6 miles

Turn RIGHT onto GEARY BLVD. 1.0 miles

Turn RIGHT onto 31ST AVE. 0.2 miles

End at 309 31ST AVE SAN FRANCISCO CA

 From the South Bay:

 From north 280

Take CA-1 N toward 19TH
AVENUE/GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE. 4.7 miles

Merge onto CROSS OVER DR. 0.2 miles

CROSS OVER DR becomes 25TH AVE. 0.5 miles

Turn LEFT onto GEARY BLVD. 0.3 miles

Turn RIGHT onto 31ST AVE. 0.2 miles

End at 309 31ST AVE SAN FRANCISCO CA

Clarion Music
816 Sacramento Street
San Francisco
415-391-1317

Directions:

 From the East Bay:

After crossing the Bay Bridge:

Take the FREMONT ST exit. 0.4 miles

Turn LEFT onto FREMONT ST. 0.3 miles

FREMONT ST becomes FRONT ST. <0.1 mile

Turn LEFT onto PINE ST. 0.3 miles

Turn RIGHT onto KEARNY ST. 0.1 miles

Turn LEFT onto SACRAMENTO ST. <0.1 mile

End at 816 SACRAMENTO ST SAN FRANCISCO CA

 From the North Bay:

After crossing the Golden Gate Bridge:

Turn RIGHT onto VAN NESS AVE/US-101. 0.3 miles

Turn LEFT onto BROADWAY ST. 0.1 miles

BROADWAY ST becomes
BROADWAY TUNNEL/ROBERT C LEVY TUNNEL. 0.5 miles

BROADWAY TUNNEL/ROBERT C LEVY TUNNEL
becomes BROADWAY ST. 0.2 miles

Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto COLUMBUS AVE. 0.2 miles

Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto MONTGOMERY ST. 0.1 miles

Turn RIGHT onto SACRAMENTO ST. 0.1 miles

End at 816 SACRAMENTO ST SAN FRANCISCO CA

 From the South Bay:

Take 101 North

Take I-80 E toward
BAY BRIDGE/OAKLAND/SEVENTH ST/US-101 N. 1.0 miles

Take the FOURTH ST exit toward EMBARCADERO. 0.1 miles

Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto BRYANT ST. 0.1 miles

Turn LEFT onto 3RD ST. 0.6 miles

3RD ST becomes KEARNY ST. 0.4 miles

Turn LEFT onto SACRAMENTO ST. <0.1 miles

End at 816 SACRAMENTO ST SAN FRANCISCO CA

Nik Warren's house:

1016 Spruce
Berkeley
510-526-8665
or 510-527-2935

 From the West Bay:

After crossing the Bay Bridge (take highway 80 east):

Take the UNIVERSITY AVENUE exit
toward BERKELEY. 0.2 miles

Turn RIGHT onto UNIVERSITY AVE. 1.9 miles

Turn LEFT onto SHATTUCK AVE. 0.6 miles

Turn RIGHT onto ROSE ST. 0.1 miles

Turn LEFT onto SPRUCE ST. 0.5 miles

End at 1016 SPRUCE ST BERKELEY CA

 From the North Bay:

Take 101 South (assuming you are north of San Rafael, otherwise go
north to get on the Richmond Bridge approach and follow the directions
from there):

Merge onto I-580 E toward RICHMOND BR/OAKLAND. 13.0 miles

Take the BUCHANAN ST exit- exit number 13-
on the left. 0.2 miles

Turn LEFT onto BUCHANAN ST. 0.5 miles

Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto MARIN AVE.
Pass through 1 roundabout. 1.8 miles

Turn RIGHT onto SAN BENITO RD. 0.1 miles

Turn RIGHT onto SPRUCE ST. <0.1 miles

End at 1016 SPRUCE ST BERKELEY CA

 From the South Bay:

easiest way is probably to go through San Francisco,
cross the Bay Bridge and follow the directions from
the West Bay (above) from there

Nancy Beckman's house

5217 Volkerts Rd.
Sebastopol
707-823-7742

Assuming you will be coming from the South (from the east,
e.g.Santa Rosa, take highway 12 west, turn onto highway
116 east in Sebastopol, then start from the point at which
you turn left onto Blank Rd. below):

take 101 North then,

Take the CA-116 W exit
toward ROHNERT PARK/SEBASTOPOL. 0.1 miles

Turn LEFT onto GRAVENSTEIN HWY S/CA-116. 2.8 miles

Turn LEFT onto BLANK RD. <0.1 miles

Stay straight to go onto HESSEL RD. 0.9 miles

Turn RIGHT to stay on HESSEL RD. 0.2 miles

Turn LEFT onto VOLKERTS RD. 0.2 miles

End at 5217 VOLKERTS RD SEBASTOPOL CA

-- KY
Karl Young
University of California, SF Phone: (415) 221-4810 x3114 lab
VA Medical Center, MRS Unit (114M) (415) 750-9463 home
4150 Clement Street FAX: (415) 668-2864
San Francisco, CA 94121 Email: kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu