[Shaku] Kakizakai Kaoru, Matama Kuzushi & Peter Hill visit to Seattle 7/26-7/27

From: Duke B (icarus927@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 20:02:04 PDT

Hello everyone,

It's settled - Kakizakai, Matama & Hill senseis will be visiting Seattle =
on=20
July 26th & 27th for a workshop, personal lessons and a concert.

Details are as follows:

Monday, July 26th, 6-9pm
Workshop on sound production and a study of 1 dokyuoku style honkyoku.
This will be lead by Kakizakai sensei and will cover all aspects of good=20
sound production as well as various techniques such as vibrato, muraiki,=20
meri, etc. I've attend this workshop before (in Vancouver, B.C.) and it's=
=20
amazing how clear kakizakai's explaination of various techniques and=20
embrochure dynamic is.

We'll also study 1 honkyoku piece. The peice hasn't been selected yet and=
 we=20
would love your input on which one to cover. Please let me know of your=20
preference. BTW, if you'd like to work on the meri techniques (and who=20
doesn't need to work on meri), Sanya is a great piece for this.

Lastly, it's great to have 3 teachers doing a workshop as 2 will be going=
=20
around the room helping each participant. This allows everyone to get alo=
t=20
more individualized attention than 1 sensei can give.

Place: Yoko Murao's house off Lake City Way. I'll send directions the wee=
k=20
before the workshop.
Cost: $60 for the 3 hours with 3 teachers - Music scores will be provided=
,=20
please bring a music stand if you have one.

Tuesday, July 27th, 9am - 4pm
Personal Lessons with the 3 senseis. 6 - 55 minutes slots are available f=
or=20
each sensei starting on the hour with the exception of noon and with 3pm=20
being the last slot. This will be a Japanese sytle lesson - meaning that=20
people can sit in on them and observe the lessons. If you'd like to have =
a=20
completely private lesson (no observation), please let me know and we can=
=20
arrange it. Personally, I find it extremely informative to sit in on othe=
r's=20
lessons and to have people sit in on mine. If you have the fortitude, you=
=20
can receive 6 hours for the price of 1 ;-)

Place: Yoko Murao's house.
Cost: $50 for Kakizakai & Matama senseis, $40 for Peter Hill sensei.

Tuesday, July 27th, 7-9pm
Concert - Honkyoku - Zen Music of Japan.
A 2 hour concert by the 3 senseis and possibly a koto player. The program=
=20
includes duets and trios with the repotoire ranging from traditional=20
Honkyoku to folk and modern pieces.

Place: Ethnic Heritage Theatre in the U-District (3940 Brooklyn Ave. NE)
Tickets: $20 for the general public/ $15 for students and workshop=20
participants.
For tickets, please contact me as the theater does not provide a ticket=20
sales service. It's an intimate space of less than 200 seats (perhaps eve=
n=20
160), so I would advise that the tickets are purchased sooner than later.

Also, please tell anyone who may be interested in the concert (and have t=
hem=20
contact me for the tickets).

Thanks to everyone who's contacted me thus far about the workshop & lesso=
ns.=20
I'll be contacting you in the next week or two about possible time slots =
-=20
if you have preferences, please let me know.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your interest and support.

Duke Bhuphaibool.
Seattle Shakuhachi Society
http://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/shakuhachi
http://www.megaseattle.com/shakuhachi/