Re: [Shaku] Forest CD - sasaki?

From: Bill Fletcher (bill@scienceandart.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 09:37:23 PDT

Hi Paul,

I just got this CD from Mejiro a couple of weeks ago (the cover shows a
side view of Sasaki playing shakuhachi in front of a Japanese temple).
It contains 20 pieces half of which are solo Minyo and half Sasaki's
traditional ensemble - koto, shamisen, shinobue flute, and percussion.
This CD also begins with Esashi Oiwake. As a matter of taste and
opinion only . . . he is clearly an excellent player, but for me his
style works best with the ensemble pieces. I found it difficult to
listen to the extremely slow and wide (amplitude) vibrato used with all
sustained notes on the solo pieces. This is probably a desirable
technique in the genre, but it's a bit distracting to me.

I was hoping to find pieces to play since I also bought the eleven
Yonea Minyo books, but except for the mentioned first song, I haven't
yet had time to attempt matching up the Kanji on the Japanese only CD
cover with the Japanese only table of contents on the Yonea books.

As a side question, perhaps someone has already done this?? Or, is
anyone willing to share some other song titles from Yonea books - in
Western writing? I'd very much appreciate getting some "book number:
page number" titles. Thanks!

Bill