[Shaku] RE: Do Westerners Have a Shakuhachi Accent?

From: Paul Cohen (paulcohen@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Jun 29 2004 - 18:49:41 PDT

Hi,
I have not really noticed the difference between western trained and
native, but I have noticed a distinct tonal and control difference
between high level players and "the rest of us" (where I am sitting at
the bottom:-( )

But you raise an interesting point on both technical and cultural
levels.

>>If I recall correctly, this has to do, in part, because the speaking
organs (mouth, throat, muscles, ligiments, etc.) are shaped by the
unique pronounciations of a particular language.

I just received "Extract of Master techniques for shakuhachi"
http://www.shakuhachi.com/PG-Koga-Extract.html , as I have an interest
in the wider aspect of instrument design and the physiology of playing
music. Koga-san goes into detail on exactly these issues (body posture,
lips, tongue, soft palete, throat, breathing, visualisation, qi/ki
leading...) , as well as some wider mind/body/spirit aspects of playing
that I see as synergising with internal martial arts practices such as
Tai Chi. http://www.kotodama.net/shakuhachi/tips.html also expound on
some of these physical aspects of shaping sound (ex: imagine you are
holding a ping pong ball in your mouth"), but Koga-san takes it deeper I
think. Quite possible your point of physical language characterists may
translate into easier acquisition of these more advanced techniques, but
I don't know. Sounds like a job for an academic.

However I think you have to take this sort of knowledge in stages/layers
as it takes time to build up internal/external body awareness to such a
fine degree. Practicing Tai Chi or Yoga regularly would be one way to
accelerate this (cross training).
http://www.fides.dti.ne.jp/~sogawa/taijishakupage1.htm also has some
notes on Taijiquan and shakuhachi.

The Big book of Tai Chi
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0007130902/002-0727642-903
1207?v=glance and Energy Medicine in Therapeutics and Human Performance
http://www.energyresearch.bizland.com/id10.html also might be of
interest to people who want to study this in a wider context.

I also just received http://www.shakuhachi.com/SM-Taniguchi.html , which
blew me away (pun intended:-)

Notes from Honshirabe that may be relevant to your Q:
"remember that "hin" also refers to "honnin no kyoku" which means "one's
own song". It would be strange to always imitate someone else's voice
when speaking. The same goes for shakuhachi. In playing this piece, take
an active mental approach and create your own song and distinctive
voice. On the other hand, while diligent practice of basic techniques in
a strict regimen can be very demanding, a commitment to such practice
places one on the road to freedom."

My 0.2 cents...

Chrz,
pc