[Shaku] Re: Do Westerners Have a Shakuhachi Accent?

From: Brian Ritchie (britchie@wi.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 06:27:10 PDT

Thanks Brian,

This is the most interesting and provocative question posed on this
list for some time. I guess Japanese players and listeners would be
most qualified to answer the question, but they might be too polite!

A lot of western shakuhachi players prefer to play the meri notes in
line with western tuning i.e. tsu meri=E flat rather than between Eb
and D, which is more in line with Japanese thinking. I'm not referring
to players who are not skilled enough to play the microtone, but even
players who could play either way but still play the western pitch.

Of course if you're playing a melody which originated in vocal music
with lyrics, not knowing the language or the lyrics will usually affect
the performance.

The next logical question might be, "If westerners play with an
"accent" is that an undesirable quality?" Should we be trying to sound
Japanese all the time? Jazz has been dealing with this issue for
almost 100 years. Jazz started out as a black art form, therefore
should white players try to sound black? Of course jazz in America is a
much more recent and quickly evolving form than traditional Japanese
music is, so maybe the answer is different in each case. Maybe not.

BR