Re: [Shaku] Re: Do Westerners Have a Shakuhachi Accent?

From: Dcammaro@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 06:47:56 PDT

I watched an interview of one of the lead actors in the "Last Samurai." He
said that he could tell that Tom Cruise was train in the US because of his
form. He said that non Japanese swordmen lack the discipline of the Japanese . It
could be a bit of snobbery. But I believe they, the Japanese have one major
advantage in regard to the shakuhachi. That being the availability of teachers,
instruments and other players. Here in New York we have more than most areas
in the world. Japan being the exception for reasons stated earlier.

I think the other disadvatage is our ears have to be retrained to understand
the disonance of some of the music. We probably consciously don't want to
hear the Japanese sound and hence don't play it.

Just a thought

Dominic