Re: [Shaku] Re: Do Westerners Have a Shakuhachi Accent?

From: Brian Miller (ramasita@peoplepc.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 2004 - 14:54:58 PDT

As has been commented, it is really difficult to isolate (or, in the case of
Westerners) integrate a set foreign cultural values, habits and biases into
ones life in a convincingly truthful way. Whether or not the nuisances
particular to Japanese shakuhachi are a result of cultural influences (as
much or more so than the technical issues of mastering the instrument) may
be impossible to determine for certain. Honkoyo shakuhachi is no doubt
intimily interwoven with Japanese culture, religion, and the "Japanese" way
of experiencing life. When it comes to Westerners playing Honkoyo, I'm not
sure if any of "us" could ever truly play in an "Authentic" style.
Interpretation is certainly not a bad thing, though. It is through
interpretation that new musical forms are born. Of course, a hundred years
from now, perhaps "authentic" Honkoyo will have integrated (or contaminated,
depending on your point of view) a Western influence. :-)

Cheers,
   Brian