Re: [Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #624

From: Brian Miller (ramasita@peoplepc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 04:24:58 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C45F3C.83B9E0D0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi Riley,

Thanks for your comments. I hope that my "question" in no way implied a =
prejudice against Westerners playing Honkyoku. I understand your =
cross-cultural comments, and can relate to them to a degree. I am in a =
cross cultural marriage - I'm American born and my wife is Indonesian. =
The sometimes very subtle cultural differences between our life =
experiences add another dimension to the normal complications of a =
relationship. However, in the same way, it enriches our lives in a =
positive way that a traditional relationship can never experience.

When I struggle to speak my broken (Bahasa) Indonesia, no one ever =
laughs at me. Rather there is an appreciation by native Indonesians =
that I am making a sincere effort to assimilate their language, and, =
more importantly, their culture. I would imagine that, for the =
Westerner learning to master shakuhachi, there is a similar empathy from =
the Japanese.

As you say, when two cultures mix, there is the possibility that the =
result might bring forth the best qualities in each. It was interesting =
to learn the true meaning of Honkyoku - in that context there is =
absolutely no way of ever playing a piece incorrectly. Ultimately, =
every musical performance becomes a personal interpretation as no two =
performances will ever be exactly the same. (Perhaps this is why =
classical Western music, although sometimes very beautiful, never =
attracted be from a performance viewpoint. The emphasis on performance =
duplication seems to stifle personal expression to me. Sorry if I =
digressed...)

Anyway, I guess shakuhachi is a living and breathing organism. Music =
that is locked in the past, if it does not die, will be consigned to =
always remain a contemporary anomaly. I admire your and others efforts =
to expand shak into non-traditional musical realms, as well as continue =
in the Honkyoku tradition. In fact one of your albums was my first =
exposure to shakuhachi and ultimately led me to play the instrument.

I will always speak broken Indonesian, and play shak with a Western =
accent - but at least it will be recognizably mine. If I am fortunate, =
I will also be able to add my own creative imagination to a flowing =
tradition.

BTW - Just got a copy of your DVD - the Sound of Bamboo - really looking =
forward to seeing/hearing it!

Cheers,
    Brian
  ----- Original Message -----=20