Re: [Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #624

From: nyogetsu@nyogetsu.com
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 07:26:24 PDT

--B_3171522384_1479598

> Hi All,=20
> I am a westerner beginning shak player at an old age(white beard). When =
> perform Native American style, I have been asked song titles, copyright i=
nfo,
> roylaty payment responsibility and similar so that the facility is not
> responsible. I play my own songs so that I am not affected by these vari=
ous
> laws, but if I play a Honkyoku song a hundred years old, that someone els=
e(or
> many) has played and copy right protected on their recording, how do the =
copy
> right laws regarding shak music affect me in a performance? If each play=
s the
> same song close to the original, I assume that some where someone has
> copyrighted their performance. How do I answer the facilities requiremen=
t not
> to play copyrighted material. Is shak music different? When you play a
> Honkyoku enough to make it your own, is it truely then your own music?
> Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

All old Honkyoku are public domain.
You do not have to pay any royalties.

If you play something that is new, you could get permission of the composer=
,
but there is no need to worry about the old Honkyoku.

In terms of being your =B3own=B2 music, that is a difficult question (on many
levels). My own versions of the traditional Honkyoku (that I have on
recordings) are registered with ASCAP, and if they get air-play , etc. I ge=
=B3writers=B2 royalties. More importantly, it enable me to get a =B3Songwrtiters
Award=B2 ($$) every year for the past 15 years. Anyone can register their
recorded versions with BMI or ASCAP if they like. Its kind of like the
American song =B3White Christmas=B2. Their are 100s of versions!

Ronnie

--B_3171522384_1479598

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #624</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:14.0px'>Hi All, <BR>
I am a westerner beginning shak player at an old age(white beard). &nbsp;Wh=
en I perform Native American style, I have been asked song titles, copyright=
 info, roylaty payment responsibility and similar so that the facility is no=
t responsible. &nbsp;I play my own songs so that I am not affected by these =
various laws, but if I play a Honkyoku song a hundred years old, that someon=
e else(or many) has played and copy right protected on their recording, how =
do the copy right laws regarding shak music affect me in a performance? &nbs=
p;If each plays the same song close to the original, I assume that some wher=
e someone has copyrighted their performance. &nbsp;How do I answer the facil=
ities requirement not to play copyrighted material. &nbsp;Is shak music diff=
erent? &nbsp;When you play a Honkyoku enough to make it your own, is it true=
ly then your own music?<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Malcolm<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:14.0px'><FONT FACE=3D"Verda=
na"><BR>
<B>Hi Malcolm,<BR>
<BR>
All old Honkyoku are public domain.<BR>
You do not have to pay any royalties.<BR>
<BR>
If you play something that is new, you could get permission of the composer=
, but there is no need to worry about the old Honkyoku.<BR>
<BR>
In terms of being your &#8220;own&#8221; music, that is a difficult questio=
n (on many levels). My own versions of the traditional Honkyoku (that I have=
 on recordings) are registered with ASCAP, and if they get air-play , etc. I=
 get &#8220;writers&#8221; royalties. More importantly, it enable me to get =
a &#8220;Songwrtiters Award&#8221; ($$) every year for the past 15 years. An=
yone can register their recorded versions with BMI or ASCAP if they like. It=
s kind of like the American song &#8220;White Christmas&#8221;. Their are 10=
0s of versions!<BR>
<BR>
Ronnie</B></FONT></SPAN>
</BODY>