Re: [Shaku] Trigger finger---HELP!!

From: Al Skaar (skaar@oo.net)
Date: Mon Jul 12 2004 - 11:38:43 PDT

Hi Dominic -

My wife developed this problem with her thumb, although not from
playing shakuhachi. After limited success from cortisone shots, the
doctor recommended surgery. She was reluctant about surgery and decided
to try acupuncture. The condition improved from the first session. She
had several sessions and the problem disappeared completely and hasn't
returned. The acupuncturist also tried to identify the cause of the
problem. One possibility is that my wife tends to grip things using the
tips of her fingers and thumb, and that increases the stress at the
joints. So she's worked at changing the way she grips things and that
also seems to help. You might also analyze the way you're holding the
shakuhachi and see if a change there might make the problem go away.

Good luck!

- Al